The site for Meadowbank School was purchased by the Auckland Education Board in 1914 with the purpose of providing a school to accommodate children from the nearby Leslie Home. The first two classrooms were opened in 1915 with 27 students coming from the home. The “Duck Bridge” at the end of Waiatarua Rd was built at the same time.
In 1916 a sixth classroom block was officially opened.
By the mid 1920’s the roll had risen to 400 and the Kelvin Rd site was purchased. The first classes were built in 1926 with the current Maclaurin Block opening in 1928. Also in 1928 the first bridge (still visible today below the current one) was built over the Gully creek. At the same time free labour constructed the lower tennis courts.
Other significant dates include–
1954 – the opening of Remuera Intermediate School meant the transfer of all our Std 5 & 6 (Years 7 & 8) pupils
1965 – the current Gully bridge built
1980 – the majority of the Waiatarua Rd classrooms (Theo Lynds’ Block) replaced the original buildings
1997 – the Two Storey (John Boyens) block opened to cater for a growing school roll and to lower class sizes
2001 – developments in our award winning Gully Project commence
2005 – National supreme award for Environmental Education (Green Gold) presented by Minister of
2006 – Opening of the Bruce McLaren Hall
2011 – Opening of 5 new junior classes
2013 – Opening of the 8 new senior classes
We are looking forward to celebrating the school’s centenary next year. Events will be held on the 16-18 OCTOBER 2015.