25 April 2014  
Home
Calendar
Principal's Desk
Our Achievers
Class News
Sports
Music
Values
Complaints Policy
Club Meadowbank
Holiday Programme
Hall Hire
Past Pupils
ERO Report
Login
Where is Meadowbank?
Garden to Table
Enviro

 
Student Artwork
This site is powered by Cyberglue

OUR SCHOOL

 

School Description

Meadowbank School is a large primary school catering for some 700students from 5 to 11 years of age.  

We are unusual in that our school is built on two quite separate sites:-

  • Kelvin Road    -  Years 1 - 2 classes
  • Waiatarua Road  - Years 3 - 6 classes

This unusual feature necessitates 2 staffrooms and 2 playgrounds as well as additional resource storage and reticulation facilities. Separating the sites is our bushed gully complete with stream. For this we have developed a multi-award winning environmental trail and community greenspace. Other features of our school include the hall,  IT developments, specialist staff (Music, PE/Sport, Special Needs, Chinese Language, Reading Recovery and ESOL).

Some History

The site for Meadowbank School was purchased by the Auckland Education Board in 1914 with the purposes of providing a school to accommodate children from the nearby Leslie Home. The first two classrooms were opened in 1915 with 27 students coming  from the home. The "Duck Bridge" at the end of Waiatarua Rd was built at the same time. In 1916 a sixth classroom block was officially opened.

By the mid 1920's the roll had risen to 400 and the Kelvin Rd site was purchased. The first classes were built in 1926 with the current Maclaurin Block opening in 1928. Also in 1928 the first bridge (still visible today below the current one) was built over the Gully creek. At the same time free labour constructed the lower tennis courts. Other significant dates include:-

  • 1954 - the opening of Remuera Intermediate School meant the transfer of all our Std 5 & 6 (Years 7 & 8) pupils. 
  • 1965 - the current Gully bridge built. 
  • 1980 - the majority of the Waiatarua Rd classrooms (Theo Lynds' Block) replaced  
    the original buildings.
  • 1997 - the Two Storey (John Boyens) block opened to cater for a growing school roll and to lower class sizes.
  • 2001 - developments in our award winning Gully Project commence
  • 2005 - National supreme award for Environmental Education (Green Gold) presented by Minister of Conservation.
  • 2006 - Opening of the Bruce McLaren Hall

School Facilities

The school has numerous facilities which are available for community use and hire.  These include:-

  • Hall with kitchen
  • Courts
  • Gully Amphitheatre
  • Playing fields

Please contact the school office regarding these facilities on 520 3739

Please support
our sponsors: